Advertisement

100 Scariest Movies of All Time

topic posted Sat, October 28, 2006 - 8:06 PM by  Saprobe
Share/Save/Bookmark
The Chicago Film Critics Association has compiled a list of the top 100 Scariest Movies of All Time. It looks like the people who compiled the list know their stuff. I was afraid it was going to be all well-known Hollywood movies, but the list is pretty wide-ranging.

www.dailyherald.com/story.asp

1. “Psycho”

2. “The Exorcist”

3. “Halloween”

4. “Alien”

5. “Night of the Living Dead (1968)”

6. “Jaws”

7. “The Shining”

8. “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)”

9. “Dawn of the Dead (1978)”

10. “Rosemary’s Baby”

11. “The Silence of the Lambs”

12. “The Blair Witch Project”

13. “Nosferatu”

14. “Frankenstein (1931)”

15. “Nightmare on Elm Street”

16. “Carrie (1976)”

17. “The Thing (1982)”

18. “Bride of Frankenstein”

19. “The Haunting (1963)”

20. “Poltergeist”

21. “Suspiria”

22. “Wait Until Dark”

23. “The Birds”

24. “Don’t Look Now”

25. “Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn”

26. “The Innocents”

27. “Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer”

28. “Freaks”

29. “Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)”

30. “The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, (1921)”

31. “The Omen (1976)”

32. “The Fly (1986)”

33. “Seven”

34. “The Re-Animator”

35. “The Sixth Sense”

36. “The Ring (2002)”

37. “The Evil Dead”

38. “Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1933)”

39. “The Hitcher”

40. “Near Dark”

41. “Dracula (1931)”

42. “Vampyr (1932)”

43. “Onibaba”

44. “Scream”

45. “Aliens”

46. “Creature from the Black Lagoon”

47. “Session 9”

48. “Nosferatu the Vampyre”

49. “Black Christmas”

50. “When a Stranger Calls”

51. “Repulsion”

52. “Misery”

53. “Horror of Dracula”

54. “The Others”

55. “Jurassic Park”

56. “The Seventh Victim”

57. “Peeping Tom”

58. “28 Days Later”

59. “Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)”

60. “The Hidden”

61. “May”

62. “Shaun of the Dead”

63. “Last House on the Left”

64. “10 Rillington Place”

65. “Salo”

66. “Cat People (1942)”

67. “Frailty”

68. “The Howling”

69. “Trilogy of Terror”

70. “Blue Velvet”

71. “I Walked with a Zombie”

72. “Bram Stoker’s Dracula”

73. “Martin”

74. “Deliverance”

75. “Carnival of Souls”

76. “The Vanishing (1988)”

77. “Masque of the Red Death”

78. “The Night of the Hunter”

79. “Salem’s Lot”

80. “Fright Night”

81. “Black Sunday (1960)”

82. “Scream 2”

83. “Dressed To Kill”

84. “The Stepfather”

85. “Friday the 13th”

86. “The Exorcism of Emily Rose”

87. “Let’s Scare Jessica to Death”

88. “The Brood”

89. “Dead-Alive”

90. “Open Water”

91. “The Mummy (1932)”

92. “Requiem for a Dream”

93. “Signs”

94. “The Wolf Man”

95. “Phantasm”

96. “The Night Stalker”

97. “Brides of Dracula”

98. “M”

99. “God Told Me To”

100. “Eyes without a Face”
posted by:
Saprobe
Philadelphia
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: 100 Scariest Movies of All Time

Sun, October 29, 2006 - 6:16 PM
    the Exorcist should have been number 1, it was way better than Psycho.
    • Re: 100 Scariest Movies of All Time

Mon, October 30, 2006 - 3:11 AM
      I've seen all but eight...time to go to my Netflix queue!

Mon, October 30, 2006 - 7:28 AM
        No kidding. I have to say the Shining was scarier than Psycho. But that's a pretty good list.

I agree about Shaun of the Dead. Not scary but still good.

Mon, October 30, 2006 - 10:15 AM
          half f those aren't even horror movie. like jurrasic park wtf. where is hellraiser???

Tue, October 31, 2006 - 6:48 AM
            Aw man! Hellraiser is awesome. I love some Pinhead. If you haven't read the book yet, it's good also. Check out The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker. ( Of course all his books are pretty good, but this is the one responsible for our favorite little pincushion.)

Tue, October 31, 2006 - 10:03 AM
              Good list ! There are a few missing that I think would have out ranked the ones that made the list......I'm not seeing The Amityville Horror (original) on this list ?? Is that right ? Or are me eyes foolin' me ?

Um, yeah ... I'd have to say Amityville was way scarier than Jurassic Park ??? JP is NOT even close to being a horror movie.....I'd consider it a sci-fi adventure ... I really do love the movie but I can very confidently state that I was ....not.... horrified... at... all. : )

Wed, November 1, 2006 - 9:07 PM
                seen "8". that is fun. I wish I had that many movies to watch. I hate searching for shite. I am excited about Slither tonight. hoot.

Anyhoo... the below ..

8. “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)”
                9. “Dawn of the Dead (1978)”
                10. “Rosemary’s Baby”
                11. “The Silence of the Lambs”
                12. “The Blair Witch Project”
                13. “Nosferatu”
                14. “Frankenstein (1931)”
                15. “Nightmare on Elm Street”
                16. “Carrie (1976)”
                17. “The Thing (1982)”

Okay.. on the above list.. just this part is a good example of the problem. I agree the list is good, but there is no evident reason they should be ranked like that. If I am not mistaken, Rosemary's baby caused a political and religious backlash more than the horror (I do love seeing Ruth "Maude" Gordon in that movie though)... and a movie like Blair Witch shouldn't be that high. It did redefine how pop movies did 1st person, but as this board notes, Cannibal Holocaust was predating that.

Dawn of the Dead is simply one of my top 3 of all time. It has zombies and piefights goddam it.

But I don't think, at the time, the movie was scarier than Nosferatu or The Thing, at the time.,, these movies cannot be judged without recognizing their place and moment in time, right? Anyhoo.. I will be watching a lot of these again. Soon. Hoot.
  • Unsu...

Sat, December 12, 2009 - 8:32 PM
    wow seriously.. half of those were lame and not remotely scary in the slightest.. Come on Shaun of the Dead seriously that was funny as hell not scary..

Maybe i'm just hard core i have dreams creepier then half of those.

Fri, April 2, 2010 - 6:04 AM
    There were some great films in that list but I do understand seeing Jurrasic Park there. When it first came out I bet popcorn was leaping to the ceiling in the cinemas from the amount of terrified watchers.

In my opinion, there should be a Saw film somewhere. The Blair Witch Project had people running from the cinema because they thought it was real.

The film Seven was more like a suspense thriller as they were chasing the man commiting the crimes. I'm shocked if this film terrified people or gave them nightmares.

Oh, and I will never ever watch a film like Salo.

Sat, July 17, 2010 - 12:03 PM
    The order in which these movies have been ranked seems to make it a list of the "100 most timeless movies in the horror/suspense genre," rather than the "100 scariest movies of all time."

I'm sorry, but Psycho is not scary at all in my opinion, let alone the scariest movie of all time. On the other hand, Pet Sematary was frightening as all hell, but it didn't even get so much as an honorable mention.

Fear, Fatal Attraction -- both missing from the list. Meanwhile "The Mummy (1932)" ranked # 92. Hell, the scariest scenes in "Frankenstein (1931)," aren't even as scary as the most tame scenes in "Herby Goes Bananas."

It's time to earn some credibility and stop giving a tip of the hat to the old pioneers and start listing movies in the order suggested by the title. People come to this list to find a movie that will make them crap their pants, and "Jurassic Park" is a Saturday morning cartoon compared to "Dawn of the Dead (2004)," which was twice as scary as George Romero's original. Yes, Romero was the master, but the remake was scarier and had a much higher production value. How can anybody deny it?
    • Unsu...

Mon, August 9, 2010 - 12:52 AM
      Kooky list. Hellraiser and the first Saw movie are missing. Not quite sure if I agree that most of those films can be labeled as horror, but then again, I'm a little jaded. Maybe the list is too old, but where is the love for Cabin Fever or Slither? It's definitely too old for Zombieland. Who's voting and what are they basing their decisions on?

Blue Velvet is not a horror movie. Please.

Mon, August 9, 2010 - 10:25 AM
        True Blue Velvet is more of a weird Lynchian suspense chiller.

It doesn't do what most good horror films do in making you feel vulnerable about something that's not normally what you think about but puts you out of your comfort zone (like deep water with Jaws or killer spiders in Arachnaphobia) and suddenly you find yourself thinking about said vulnerability a lot.

Heck, I would do my own top 100 in what I think makes a successful horror.

A successful horror needs to make the person have nightmares
        It needs to make some people not sleep without the landing light on or even a bedside lamp
        It needs to take a normal situation in everyday life and make people feel vulnerable about it (like The Ring suddenly made people feel uncomfortable with looking at their blank TV in case something suddenly appears or finding a blank video cassette. Heck when I first watched The Shining I felt nervous going to the bathroom when the shower curtain was pulled across)
        It needs to have very memorable 'monsters' 'villains' or evil in it.
        It needs to be quality without a predicatble formulae. Two opposing examples. The remake of house on haunted hill was very very predictable and went by a typical formula. The film titled 'Them', depsite having a silly film name was actually a very surprising and engaging film where you don't know whats happening and the ending is a shocker too.

To me, The shining is always going to be in the top five because when it came out as a novel and as a film it caught people off guard and scared ther pants out of them..... and Jack Nicholson is f***ing ace!

Sun, November 14, 2010 - 10:55 PM
    1st of all...and IMO...half of those don't even belong.
    & I just have to say this...
    I am 48 and I have seen most of them and the thing that sticks out for me is this...
    When it comes to scary movies...a lot of people have either very bad memories or got scared by "BAMBI" and don't have a clue what they are talking about when it comes to "SCARY". Ex; The Shinning was a fantastic book, and a realy AVERAGE movie and it was never, at any moment, that "scary". It was well done yes, smart, yes, but overall, is one of Kubricks weakest films and it does nothing really that scary, at NO TIME IN THE THEATER or at any of the other 50 times I have seen it did I ever get scared from or by anything in it.

HERE IS MY LIST of the top 10 Scariest Movies I have ever seen.

#1- FAUST - 1926 {And it isn't even close, this thing blows every other film away on the "scary" factor.

#2- THE EXORCIST {TVYNS} - 1973 - this version... is not just scary...it may be the most techincally perfect film ever made.

#3- 28 WEEKS LATER - 2007 {THE SCENE IN WHICH THE HUSBAND FINALY FINDS HIS WIFE AND THEN UPON THEIR REUNITING KISS...EATS HER TO DEATH...IS ONE OF THE MOST DISTURBING THINGS I HAVE EVER SEEN IN ANY MOVIE EVER.

#4- ANGEL HEART - 1987 {I REMEMBER WALKING OUT OF THE THEATER AND FEELING DEEPLY DEEPLY FRIGHTENED TO THE CORE BY IT}

#5- ROSEMARY'S BABY - 1968 {FILMED IN SAME BUILDING JOHN LENNON WAS MURDERED IN FRONT OF AND WHERE HE LIVED WITH YOKO & SEAN WHEN IT HAPPENED- KNOWING THAT WHEN YOU WATCH IT TODAY SOMEHOW ADDS SOMETHING CHILLING TO IT.} WHEN I SAW IT THE FIRST TIME IN THE EARLY 70'S I COULDN'T SLEEP FOR DAYS.

#6- AUDITION - 1999 {HOLY CRAP- JUST HOLY F'N CRAP - all time most frightening ending to a movie ever}

#7- WAIT UNTIL DARK - 1967 {I GREW UP IN MONTREAL, WHERE THE FILM STARTS} AND ALLAN ARKIN HAUNTED MY DREAMS AFTER I SAW THIS FOR A MONTH, ALSO, IT HAS ONE THE "SMARTEST" ENDINGS TO ANY MOVIE EVER MADE...SMART, AND SCARY AS ALL HELL.

#8- HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER - 1986 {SO REALISTIC IT'S IN A LEAGUE OF SCARY ALL BY ITSELF}

#9- THE DESCENT - 2005 {WILL NEVER GO INTO A CAVE AGAIN}

#10- NOSFERATU - 1922 {INSPIRED 50 "COPYCATS" AT LEAST INCLUDING FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA}

~STEVEN
    ~MONTREAL

Mon, November 15, 2010 - 6:15 PM
      I was realy tired when I keyed in that post yesterday andd came back to fix the 2 tiny mistakes I made...

#1- Should Be "Nosferatu"
      #10- Should be "Faust"

*They were both directed by German...F.W. Murnau.
      *Nosferatu is the ONLY film I have ever seen that rivals the Exorcist TVYNS
      because it was made in 1922 I have to give it a slight edge for the #1 spot.

For #9 - "The Descent"...
      *I want to add that it takes into account BOTH PARTS 1 & 2 which were both equaly sensational.

Mon, November 15, 2010 - 6:44 PM
        I would like to throw in one FINAL thing

"***HONORABLE MENTION: TO PECKINPAH'S MASTERPIECE...

STRAW DOGS 1971 {DUSTIN HOFFMAN & SUSAN GEORGES BEST PERFOMRANCES EVER - PEKINPAH'S DIRECTION ON THIS ONE IS ONE OF THE BEST IMO IN THE HISTORY OF FLIM.- AND THE BEARTRAP SCENE MAY BE THE SINGLE MOST FRIGHTENING REFERENCE EVER IN A HORROR FILM}***

Tue, November 16, 2010 - 3:02 PM
          Wouldn't ya know what...lmfao...I slept on it all last night and have made a few changes...here is my NEW LIST of the top 10 scariest films I have ever seen....

#1- NOSFERATU - 1922 {And it isn't even close, this thing blows every other film away on the "scary" factor. It INSPIRED 50 "COPYCATS" AT LEAST INCLUDING FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA

#2- THE EXORCIST {TVYNS} - 1973 - {this version... is not just scary...it may be the most techincally perfect film ever made}

#3- 28 WEEKS LATER - 2007 {THE SCENE IN WHICH THE HUSBAND FINALY FINDS HIS WIFE AND THEN UPON THEIR REUNITING KISS...EATS HER TO DEATH...IS ONE OF THE MOST DISTURBING THINGS I HAVE EVER SEEN IN ANY MOVIE EVER.

#4- ANGEL HEART - 1987 {I REMEMBER WALKING OUT OF THE THEATER AND FEELING DEEPLY DEEPLY FRIGHTENED TO THE CORE BY IT- and that horrible feeling lasted for days after that - Deeply Intellectually frightening}

#5- ROSEMARY'S BABY - 1968 {FILMED IN SAME BUILDING JOHN LENNON WAS MURDERED IN FRONT OF AND WHERE HE LIVED WITH YOKO & SEAN WHEN IT HAPPENED- KNOWING THAT WHEN YOU WATCH IT TODAY SOMEHOW ADDS SOMETHING CHILLING TO IT.} WHEN I SAW IT THE FIRST TIME IN THE EARLY 70'S I COULDN'T SLEEP FOR DAYS.

#6- AUDITION - 1999 {HOLY CRAP- JUST HOLY F'N CRAP - all time most frightening ending to a movie ever}

#7-STRAW DOGS 1971 {DUSTIN HOFFMAN & SUSAN GEORGES BEST PERFOMRANCES EVER - PEKINPAH'S DIRECTION ON THIS ONE IS ONE OF THE BEST IMO IN THE HISTORY OF FLIM.- AND THE BEARTRAP SCENE MAY BE THE SINGLE MOST FRIGHTENING REFERENCE EVER IN A HORROR FILM}***

#8- ALIEN - 1979 {BRAUGHT TWO FRIENDS WHO HAD NO IDEA WHAT I WAS TAKING THEM TO SEE, AND WHEN THEY SAW IT THEY WENT INTO SHOCK- GROUNDBREAKING AT THE TIME, AND UNSTOPABLE ON THE SCARY SCALE!!!
          LOOKING FORWARD TO ALIEN HARVEST WHICH HAS MORE POTENTIAL THAN THE ORIGINAL DID, I KNOW, I'VE READ THE REWORKED SCRIPT.}

#9- THE DESCENT{Parts 1 & 2} - 2005 {I WILL NEVER GO INTO A CAVE AGAIN}

#10- THE THING - 1982 {JOHN CARPENTER'S SCARIEST FILM BY FAR, & TEN TIMES MORE SO, AT LEAST, THAN "HALLOWEEN"}

***HONORABLE MENTION: WAIT UNTIL DARK - 1967 {I GREW UP IN MONTREAL, WHERE THE FILM STARTS} AND ALLAN ARKIN HAUNTED MY DREAMS AFTER I SAW THIS FOR A MONTH, ALSO, IT HAS ONE THE "SMARTEST" ENDINGS TO ANY MOVIE EVER MADE...SMART, AND SCARY AS ALL HELL.***

~STEVEN

Tue, November 23, 2010 - 5:54 AM
            Nosferatu and Descent.... not even remotely scary. I walked away bored from both films.

The Shininig by Stanley Kubrick is critically acclaimed by most who watched as one of the scariest films ever.

If I would construct my own top scariest films it would be like this.

In no order of top 10 scariest (too hard to judge which scared me more)

1 - Jacobs Ladder
            2 - Ju-On aka The Grudge (Jap or USA)
            3 - Ju-On 2 aka The Grudge 2 (Jap or USA)
            4 - Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me by David Lynch. I didn't understand it which seemed to creep me out a huge deal when I was young.
            5 - Angel Heart.
            6 - Halloween 4. Watched it at a young age and received hundreds of nightmares when I was young of Michael Myers creeping around my house and never being hurt by anything I threw at him
            7 - The Shining. Oh my god! The woman in the bathtub. The loneliness of the hotel. The weird masked bunny man giving someone a blowjob the woman sees when looking around the hotel disturbed me to the core.
            8 - SAW. Did not expect it to be scary and my friend who advised me to watch it had been underwhelmed by the ending. However, while watching it I was sweating profusely in fear and clutching at my legs when the woman had a reverse bear trap on her head.
            9 - Night of the living dead - the 70's re-make in colour. Probably scared me a huge deal since I had never seen a zombie movie before.
            10 - Texas Chainsaw Massacre - what a grim film. The part when Leatherface just shows up and whacks the man with a mallet scared me to the point where I thought it was real.

Recent topics in "Horror Movies"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Boo!, the tv show DIEGO 16 Yesterday, 1:01 PM
Boo show nilayanez@ro... 0 March 9, 2014
Psychological horrors Red 14 December 27, 2013
Wanting a scary haunting film please name a few to buy Claudia 0 December 27, 2013